Episode 19: How to Reboot Sexist Robots
The robot future is female, but can it be feminist? Gendered digital assistants like Alexa are here to make our lives easier, yet all this artificial intelligence comes with retrograde human baggage (and unnecessary boobs). Caroline and Cristen investigate what robots reveal about the real-world with two of the brightest human minds out there.
More from our guests
Ayanna Howard: Zyrobotics
Heather Roff: Twitter
- Buxton, Madeline. Writing for Alexa Becomes More Complicated in the #MeToo Era. Refinery29. Dec. 27, 2017.
- Carpenter, Charli. 'Robot Soldiers Would Never Rape': Unpacking the Myth of the Humanitarian War-Bot. Duck of Minerva. May 14, 2014.
- Docherty, Bonnie. We're Running Out of Time to Stop Killer Robot Weapons. The Guardian. April 11, 2018.
- Feiler, Bruce. Turn Right, My Love. The New York Times. June 25, 2010.
- Fessler, Leah. We Tested Bots Like Siri and Alexa to See Who Would Stand up to Sexual Harassment. Quartz. Feb. 22, 2017.
- Hayasaki, Erika. Is AI Sexist? Foreign Policy. Jan. 16, 2017.
- Hempel, Jessi. Siri and Cortana Sound Like Ladies Because of Sexism. Wired. Oct. 28, 2015.
- Howard, Ayanna and Jason Borenstein. The Ugly Truth About Ourselves and Our Robot Creations: The Problem of Bias and Social Inequity. Science and Engineering Ethics. Sept. 21, 2017.
- Knapp, Alex. Robotics Legend Ayanna Howard on the Future of Human-Robot Interactions. Forbes. Feb. 28, 2018.
- Mulligan, Jesse. Ethics and the Rise of the Robot. Radio NZ. Feb. 27, 2017.
- Rizzo, Meredith. Being Different Helped a NASA Roboticist Achieve Her Dream. NPR. Dec. 19, 2017.
- Rodriguez, Ashley. Microsoft's AI Millennial Chatbot Became a Racist Jerk After Less Than a Day on Twitter. Quartz. March 24, 2016.
- Roff, Heather. Gendering a Warbot: Gender, Sex and the Implications for the Future of War. International Feminist Journal of Politics. Vol. 18, Iss. 1, Jan. 11, 2016.
- Roff, Heather. How Understanding Animals Can Help Us Maximize Artificial Intelligence. Scientific American. April 2, 2017.
- Simmons, Jackie and Jeff Green. The Rise of Robots Will Make the Tech Gender Gap Even Worse. Bloomberg. Jan. 22, 2017.
- Vanity Fair. The Trailblazing Roboticist Tackling Diversity and Bias in Artificial Intelligence. April 2018.
- Wosk, Julie. My Fair Ladies: Female Robots, Androids and Other Artificial Eves. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2015.
- Wosk, Julie. Women and the Machine: Representations from the Spinning Wheel to the Electronic Age. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
- Zhao, Christina. Is the iPhone Racist? Apple Refunds Device That Can't Tell Chinese People Apart, Woman Claims. Newsweek. Dec. 18, 2017.
- Zuin, Lidia. A Brief History of Men Who Build Female Robots. Startup Grind. April 4, 2017.