Episode 20: How to Stop Getting Screwed in the SCOTUS
If Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg could add anything to the US Constitution, it would be an Equal Rights Amendment — and Cristen and Caroline are on a mission to make that happen. Today, we talk to filmmaker and activist Kamala Lopez about the century-long fight for an ERA, why we still need one, and the unladylike power we have to finally get a constitutional IUD to protect our rights from unplanned politics.
More from Kamala Lopez
More from Unladylike
Find our #IUDmyrights images and more information about how to ratify the ERA on our resources page.
- Alice Paul Institute. EqualRightsAmendment.org.
- Baker, Carrie. Nevada Says ERA Yes. Ms. Magazine. June 12, 2017.
- Chappell, Bill. One More to Go: Illinois Ratifies Equal Rights Amendment. NPR. May 31, 2018.
- Dwyer, Colin. Nevada Ratifies the Equal Rights Amendment ... 35 Years After the Deadline. NPR. March 21, 2017.
- Fishel, Lynn Andretta. Reversals in the Federal Constitutional Amendment Process: Efficacy of State Ratifications of the Equal Rights Amendment. Indiana Law Journal. Vol. 49, Iss. 1. Fall 1973.
- Francis, Roberta W. and Bettina Hager. Why We Need the Equal Rights Amendment. National Council of Women's Organizations. March 2013.
- Fry, Amelia. Conversations with Alice Paul: Woman Suffrage an the Equal Rights Amendment. The Regents of the University of California. 1976.
- Ginsburg, Ruth Bader. The Need for an Equal Rights Amendment. American Bar Association Journal. Vol. 59, No. 9. September 1973.
- Haag, Matthew. The Equal Rights Amendment Was Just Ratified by Illinois. What Does That Mean? The New York Times. May 31, 2018.
- Hamlin, Kimberly A. Are Women People? The Equal Rights Amendment Then and Now. Origins. Vol. 10, Iss. 10. July 2017.
- History, Art & Archives. Griffiths, Martha Wright. U.S. House of Representatives.
- History Nebraska. Nebraska's On-Again, Off-Again Relationship with the Equal Rights Amendment. March 15, 2018.
- Kretschmer, Kelsy. Illinois Ratified the ERA — 36 Years Late. Here's What You Need to Know. The Washington Post. June 19, 2018.
- Kyvig, David E. Historical Misunderstandings and the Defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment. The Public Historian. Vol. 18, No. 1. Winter 1996.
- Magnuson, Karen M. Fifteen Equal Rights Amendment Supporters Chained to the Doorway. UPI Archives. June 7, 1982.
- Montero, David. Thirty-Five Years Past a Deadline Set by Congress, Nevada Ratifies the Equal Rights Amendment. Los Angeles Times. March 20, 2017.
- Neale, Thomas H. The Proposed Equal Rights Amendment: Contemporary Ratification Issues. Congressional Research Service. May 9, 2013.
- Pearson, Rick and Bill Lukitsch. Illinois Approves Equal Rights Amendment, 36 Years After Deadline. Chicago Tribune. May 31, 2018.
- Pemberton, Jennifer. When the Equal Rights Amendment Came to Utah. Utah Public Radio. Aug. 25, 2016.
- Russell-Kraft, Stephanie. Why the Equal Rights Amendment Still Matters. The New Republic. June 14, 2018.
- The Center for Legislative Archives. Martha Griffiths and the Equal Rights Amendment. National Archives.
- The New York Times Editorial Board. A Rebuke to Trump, a Century in the Making. The New York Times. April 19, 2018.
- Tims, Dana. Oregon's Equal Rights Amendment Wins: Oregon Election Results 2014. The Oregonian. Nov. 4, 2014.
- Young, Neil J. The Decades-Old Roots of Houston's Bathroom Panic. Slate. Nov. 4, 2015.