Episode 17: How to Tell a Rape Joke
Are rape jokes having have a #MeToo moment? Caroline and Cristen talk to comic Cameron Esposito about her new stand-up special, 'Rape Jokes,' and discover a history of this humor that'll change how y'all hear rape jokes today. Trigger warning: This episode contains conversations (and two very unfunny jokes) about sexual assault.
More from Cameron
- Watch the new set, Rape Jokes, and donate to RAINN if you can.
- Follow: Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // Site
- Listen: Queery // Back to Back // Marriage Material // Same Sex Symbol
- Watch: Take My Wife
- RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization
- A list of resources compiled by WOAR, Philadelphia's only rape crisis center
- Rape Crisis England & Wales, a network of rape crisis centers
- A list of hotlines and other resources for Australian listeners
- Call Your Girlfriend. Episode 129: Cameron Esposito. Jan. 26, 2018.
- Czajkowski, Elise. In ‘Asking for It,’ Adrienne Truscott Reappropriates the Rape Joke. The New York Times. April 10, 2015.
- Dickie, Simon. "Rape Jokes and the Law" in Cruelty and Laughter: Forgotten Comic Literature and the Unsentimental Eighteenth Century. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2011.
- Esposito, Cameron. Being a Comic and a Punchline. AV Club. May 9, 2014.
- Esposito, Cameron. What It's Like to Be a Woman in Comedy. AV Club. May 23, 2014.
- Fox, Jesse David. Cameron Esposito Is Taking Rape Jokes Back for Survivors. Vulture. May 28, 2018.
- Hairston, Tahirah. Meet the Woman Making Rape Jokes that Are Actually Funny. Splinter. June 24, 2016.
- Kingston, Anne. Ever Hear the One About the Chick Who Got Raped? Maclean's. July 9, 2007.
- Leyton, Katherine. Laughing it off: What Happens When Women Tell Rape Jokes? Bitch. Aug. 14, 2013.
- Lockwood, Patricia. Rape Joke. The Awl. July 25, 2013.
- Merrill, Lisa. Feminist Humor: Rebellious and Self-Affirming. Women's Studies. Vol. 15, Iss. 1-3. Pp. 271-280. 1988.
- Mulshine, Molly. Who Gets to Tell a Rape Joke? Elle. April 26, 2018.
- NPR. Hugs for Hecklers: Cameron Esposito on Life as a Lesbian Comedian. Oct. 11, 2014.
- Robinson, Joanna. The #MeToo Movement Has a Place in Comedy: Just Ask Cameron Esposito. Vanity Fair. May 23, 2018.
- Solnit, Rebecca. If Rape Jokes Are Finally Funny It's Because They're Targeting Rape Culture. The Guardian. Aug. 10, 2015.
- Wilstein, Matt. Cameron Esposito’s ‘Rape Jokes’ Is the First Great Stand-Up Set of the #MeToo Era. Daily Beast. April 26, 2018.
- WTF with Marc Maron. Episode 575: Cameron Esposito. Feb. 9, 2015.