Episode 14: How to Shoot a Gun
Women overwhelmingly buy guns for self-defense, but statistics show guns escalate violence across the board. Cristen and Caroline talk with two firearms fans to find out how much that feeling of safety is worth -- and what's at the root of women's fear.
More from our guests
- Trigger Warning Queer and Trans Gun Club ATL: Twitter // Facebook
- Trigger Happy Firearm Instruction: Twitter // Facebook // Site
- Wear Orange: June 1 is National Gun Violence Awareness Day
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline
- The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Beckett, Lois. Gun inequality: US study charts rise of hardcore super owners. The Guardian. Sept. 19, 2016.
- Browder, Laura. Her Best Shot: Women and Guns in America. UNC Press Books. 2009.
- Browder, Laura. Women's gun culture in America. University of North Carolina Press blog. Feb. 15, 2013.
- Carlsen, Audrey and Sahil Chinoy. How to buy a gun in 15 countries. The New York Times. March 2, 2018.
- Carmon, Irin. Can women stand their ground? Depends on the target. March 20, 2014.
- Carter, Gregg Lee. Guns in American Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law. ABC-CLIO. 2012.
- DeFilippis, Evan. Having a gun in the house doesn't make a woman safer. Citylab. Feb. 24, 2014.
- Dunbar-Ortiz, Roxanne. Loaded: A Disaming History of the Second Amendment. City Lights Books. 2018.
- Fetters, Ashley. Why women own guns. GQ. Dec. 15, 2016.
- Gowrinathan, Nimmi. Is it time for black women in America to take up arms? The Guardian. April 18, 2018.
- Gresenz, Carole Roan. Effects of Concealed-Carry Laws on Violent Crime. RAND.
- Hagen, Lisa. LGBT gun group's rising numbers reveal range of attitudes. WABE. June 23, 2016.
- Here & Now. More African-American women arming themselves for self-protection. WBUR. July 31, 2017.
- Hill, Michael. Meet the Trigger Warning Queer & Trans Gun Club, an armed response to the U.S. far right. The Star. Oct. 23, 2017.
- Holpuch, Amanda. Why more urban women own guns: self-defense and the Second Amendment. The Guardian. Sept. 21, 2016.
- Homsher, Deborah. Women and Guns: Politics and the Culture of Firearms in America. London: Routledge, 2015.
- Horowitz, Juliana Menasce. How male and female gun owners in the U.S. compare. Pew Research Center. June 29, 2017.
- Matthews, Dylan. 11 facts about gun violence in the United States. Vox. June 13, 2016.
- McCaughey, Martha. Real Knockouts: The Physical Feminism of Women’s Self-Defense. NYU Press. 1997.
- National Rifle Association. Refuse to be a victim.
- Nuwer, Rachel. What if all guns disappeared? BBC. April 18, 2018.
- Pane, Lisa Marie. Black women picking up firearms for self-defense. U.S.News & World Report. July 24, 2017.
- Parker, Kim et al. American's complex relationship with guns. Pew Research Center. June 22, 2017.
- Pesta, Abigail. Do girls need guns? Marie Claire. Sept. 15, 2010.
- Potiker, Haley. 'Refuse to be a victim,' and more lessons for women from the NRA. Broadly. March 15, 2016.
- Runyan, Carol W. et al. US women's choices of strategies to protect themselves from violence. Injury Prevention. Vol. 13, No. 4. August 2007.
- Shadwell, Talia. 'Paying to stay safe': why women don't walk as much as men. The Guardian. Oct. 11, 2017.
- Smith, S.E. The trans women turning to firearms for survival. Pacific Standard. Jan. 3, 2018.
- Stange, Mary Zeiss and Oyster, Carol K. Gun Women: Firearms and Feminism in Contemporary America. NYU Press. 2000.
- Suk, Jeannie. The True Woman: Scenes from the Law of Self-Defense. Harvard Journal of Law & Gender. Vol. 31. 2008.
- Twine, France Winddance. Girls with Guns: Firearms, Feminism, and Militarism. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Walters, Joanna. Gun club urging LGBT people to arm themselves triples in size after Orlando. The Guardian. June 23, 2016.
- Zarrelli, Natalie. Early 1900s Women Had an Ingenious Method for Fending Off Gropers. History Channel. Nov. 01, 2017.