Episode 8: How to Be a Mormon Feminist
Major religions come with major women problems, but that hasn't stopped feminists of faith from trying to smash religious patriarchy from the inside. Today, Cristen and Caroline talk to Kate Kelly, who did just that in her most sacred community: Mormonism. Find out what happens, and whether Kate thinks feminism and faith are ultimately compatible.
Mormon feminist orgs
Learn more about Mormon feminism
- This Is What a Mormon Feminist Looks Like (Broadly)
- Mormon Feminism in 1977 and Today (Exponent II)
- Mormon women celebrate 40 years of faith and feminism (Boston Globe)
- Associated Press. Mormon Women’s Group Founder Kate Kelly Faces Excommunication. NBC News. June 12, 2014.
- Barker, Karlyn. Sonia Johnson. The Washington Post. May 10, 1987.
- Blumberg, Antonia. Group Conducts Mass Resignation from Mormon Church to Protest Excommunication of Kate Kelly. HuffPost. July 24, 2014.
- Fresh Air. How Mormon Polygamy in the 19th Century Fueled Women's Activism. NPR. Jan. 17, 2017.
- Frontline. The Mormons: Frequently Asked Questions. PBS. April 30, 2007.
- Haglund, David. The Case of the Mormon Historian. Slate. Nov. 1, 2012.
- Hansen-Park, Lindsay. Yes, it is possible to both be Mormon and a feminist. Quartz. Aug. 29, 2016.
- Hyer, Majorie. Mormon Bishop Excommunicates Woman Who Is Supporting ERA. The Washington Post. Dec. 6, 1979.
- Iversen, Joan Smyth. The Antipolygamy Controversy in U.S. Women's Movements, 1880-1925: A Debate on the American Home. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc. 1997.
- Klingorova, Kamila and Havlicek, Tomas. "Religion and gender inequality: The status of women in the societies of world religions." Moravian Geographical Reports. February 2015.
- Lipka, Michael. Big majority of Mormons (including women) oppose women in priesthood. Pew Research Center. Oct. 8, 2013.
- Litoff, Alyssa. New Wave of Mormon Missionaries Is Young, Energetic and Female. Jan. 27, 2015.
- O'Hara, Mary Emily. ‘They’ve Kicked Me Out of Heaven’: Meet Kate Kelly, the Mormon Feminist Who Was Excommunicated by Her Church. Vice. June 25, 2014.
- Oyler, Lauren. This Is What a Mormon Feminist Looks Like. Broadly. Nov. 3, 2015.
- Packer, Boyd K. Talk to the All-Church Coordinating Council. Zions Best. May 18, 1993.
- Pappas, Stephanie. Mormon Church Hasn't Budged on Gender Roles in 40 Years. Live Science. July 18, 2014.
- Pew Research Center. Mormons in America – Certain in Their Beliefs, Uncertain of Their Place in Society. Jan. 12, 2012.
- Silva, Daniella. Excommunication of High-Ranking Mormon Official James J. Hamula Called ‘Very Rare’. NBC News. Aug. 10, 2017.
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher. Former Mormon Leader Is Building a New Life - as a Woman. Associated Press. July 18, 2017.
- Sterbenz, Christina. Here's How Mormons Are Supposed to Dress. Business Insider. March 3, 2014.
- Telushkin, Shira. The Facebook of Mormon. The Atlantic. Jan. 31, 2014.
- Thomas, Leah. Who Is Russell M. Nelson? Mormon Church to Be Headed by 93-Year-Old Former Heart Surgeon. Newsweek. Jan. 16, 2018.
- Townshend, Tim. Mormon History and Theology: Missouri Is Land of Zion and Location of Second Coming. St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Sept. 22, 2012.
- van Wagenen, Lola. In Their Own Behalf: The Politicization of Mormon Women and the 1870 Franchise. Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 1989.