Episode 6: How to Break the Bronze Ceiling
More than 90 percent of American public statues are dedicated to dudes - a monumental gender gap that persists around the globe. Today, Cristen and Caroline talk to Diane Carlson Evans about her hard-won campaign for the first National Mall memorial to women veterans and why breaking the bronze ceiling is a battle worth fighting.
- In the news
- AARP. AARP Salutes Veteran Diane Carlson. YouTube video. Sept. 23, 2013.
- Abdella, Fred T. Women Demand Place on Vietnam Memorial. The New York Times. May 8, 1988.
- Astore, William. Of Historical Statues And Monuments. HuffPo. Aug. 19, 2017.
- Bailey, Jason. In U.S. Public Statues Of Confederate Soldiers Nearly Double Those Of Women. Artnome. Aug. 19, 2017.
- Baird, Julia. Why We Should Put Women on Pedestals. The New York Times. Sept. 4, 2017.
- Capps, Kriston. The Gender Gap in Public Sculpture. Citylab. Feb. 24, 2016.
- Criado-Perez, Caroline. I sorted the UK’s statues by gender – a mere 2.7 per cent are of historical, non-royal women. New Statesman. March 26, 2016.
- Emerson, Bo. ‘Comfort Women’ statue to be unveiled in Brookhaven on June 30. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. June 23, 2017.
- Evans, Diane Carlson. Moving a Vision: The Vietnam Women’s Memorial. Vietnam Women's Memorial.
- Heikkila, Kim. Diane Carlson Evans. May 8, 2007.
- Heikkila, Kim. Donna-Marie Boulay. June 10, 2005.
- Lewis, Danny. It's Way Too Hard to Find Statues of Notable Women in the U.S. Smithsonian. Feb. 29, 2016.
- Matfess, Hilary. Monumental Misogyny: On Female Statues, Public Space, and Harassment. Bitch. May 10, 2017.
- McGrane, Sally. An Important Statue for 'Comfort Women' in San Francisco. The New Yorker. Oct. 12, 2017.
- Meier, Allison. The Only Five Public Statues of Historic Women in NYC. Hyperallergic. July 31, 2015.
- Melamed, Samantha. Why Philly has one of the nation's largest public art collections - and 2 statues of real, historic women. The Inquirer. Aug. 26, 2016.
- Pidd, Helen. Britain to celebrate pioneering women with three new statues. The Guardian. Jan. 9, 2017.
- Rhodan, Maya. Inside the Push for More Public Statues of Notable Women. Time. Aug. 17, 2017.
- Rhodan, Maya. Will Women Ever Break the Bronze Ceiling? Time. Aug. 24, 2017.
- Roy, Nilanjana. Why aren't there more statues of women? Financial Times. June 6, 2017.
- Tam, Ruth. Vietnam War nurse: 'We weren't shrinking violets.' The Washington Post. Nov. 8, 2013.
- Vietnam Magazine. How Diane Carlson Evans Turned the Tide. December 2013.