Episode 5: How to Be a Boss Witch
There’s never been a better time be your own boss witch. Mystical vibes are so hot right now, but some career witches worry it’s a recipe for double double toil and trouble. Cristen and Caroline dabble in “witchcraft lite,” discover the #witchesofinstagram, and investigate the “spiritual-industrial complex” as they find out what happens when witches get down to business.
Find out more about our guests
- Adamczyk, Alicia. Meet Goop’s Shaman, a Crystal Expert That Helps People With Their Careers. Money. Oct. 3, 2017.
- Bess, Gabby. Black Magic: Hoodoo Witches Speak Out on the Appropriation of Their Craft. Broadly. Sept. 23, 2015.
- Bolt, Laura. 'Mysticore' is the new norm: Inside the trend that's casting its spell over the culture. Salon. Aug. 22, 2016.
- Brodesser-Akner, Taffy. Losing it in the anti-dieting age. The New York Times Magazine. Aug. 2, 2017.
- Crocker, Lizzie. These Modern Witches Want to Cast a Spell on You. Daily Beast. July 4, 2017.
- Eschner, Kat. England’s Witch Trials Were Lawful. Smithsonian. Aug. 18, 2017.
- Doyle, Sady. Season of the witch: why young women are flocking to the ancient craft. The Guardian. Feb. 24, 2015.
- Griffin, Annaliese. Women are flocking to wellness because modern medicine still doesn’t take them seriously. Quartz. June 15, 2017.
- Herstick, Gabriela. Ask A Witch: A Guide To Modern Witchcraft. Nylon. Nov. 15, 2016.
- Herstik, Gabriela. Ask A Witch: How Do You Create A Witchy Home? Nylon. Oct. 13, 2017.
- Hughes, Sarah. Spellbound: why witchcraft is enchanting a new generation of teenage girls. The Guardian. Oct. 26, 2013.
- Kale, Sirin. How to embrace your inner witch. Dazed. March 17, 2016.
- Kelly, Kim. Are witches the ultimate feminists? The Guardian. July 5, 2017.
- K-Hole. #5 A Report on Doubt. 2017.
- Korvette, Kristen. Witches are some of the most enduring feminist icons of our time. Quartz. Oct. 29, 2015.
- Luna, Bri. Witch Made: Meet Michael Cardenas of Olde Ways Apothecary. Hoodwitch. June 28, 2017.
- Lyons, Sarah. Sometimes Pop Culture Really Is the Gateway to the Occult. Broadly. July 7, 2017.
- Mandybur, Jerico. How modern witches are gathering online to stop Trump. Mashable. March 15, 2017.
- Mandybur, Jerico. How The Hoodwitch's Bri Luna Brought Bruja Magic To Instagram. Girlboss. Aug. 14, 2017.
- Mar, Alex. Witches of America: how I became immersed in a growing movement. The Guardian. Oct. 29, 2016.
- McDermott, Maeve. Witchy fashion is 2017's most exciting, subversive trend. USA Today. July 26, 2017.
- Mullins, Tara. Ogilvy Launches New Research on Wellness Movement. PR Newswire. Sept. 26, 2017.
- Paul, Kari. Covens Versus Coders: How Witchcraft Apps Are Pissing Off Real Witches. Broadly. May 31, 2016.
- Rife, Katie. Seasons of the witch: Tracing the resurgent witchcraft trend. The A.V. Club. Oct. 26, 2016.
- Romanoff, Zan. In 2017, We Have Questions. Does Astrology Have The Answers? Buzzed. Sept. 6, 2017.
- Saxena, Jaya. There’s a schism in the witch community over online spell-casting. The Daily Dot. March 16, 2015.
- Schiff, Stacy. Five myths about the Salem witch trials. The Washington Post. Oct. 28, 2016.
- Sollee, Kristen J. Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive. Berkeley: Stone Bridge Press, 2017.
- Solowij, Anna-Marie. Unreality. J. Walter Thompson Intelligence. 2017
- Sullivan, Margaret. Business witches of Instagram: How sorcery found a commercial home on social media. Mashable. July 22, 2017.
- Wicker, Alden. Witchcraft is the perfect religion for liberal millennials. Quartz. Oct. 27, 2016.
- Wolfgram, Christina. We talk to witches about the connection between makeup and magick. Hello Giggles. Oct. 25, 2016.