Episode 3: How to Get a Yoga Body with Jessamyn Stanley
Body-positive yoga icon Jessamyn Stanley shares her journey to finding her yoga body and claiming her space on the mat as a fat, queer, black woman. Cristen and Caroline also unpack the claptrap of why yoga has become an aspirational whitewashed lifestyle and what that means for the women who need yoga the most.
Leave ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ at Apple Podcasts // Listen on Stitcher // Subscribe to the Unladylike newsletter
More from Jessamyn
Programs to help kids
Programs bringing yoga to incarcerated women and men
- Belluz, Julia and Javier Zarracina. The Case Against Luxury Gyms Like SoulCycle. Vox. Jan. 6, 2018.
- Brennan, Allison. How Jessamyn Stanley Fights Being 'Deeply Afraid of' Her Body. CNN. April 12, 2017.
- Bussing, Arndt et al. Effects of Yoga on Mental and Physical Health: A Short Summary of Reviews. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012.
- Cameron, Courtney. Foursquare Analyzes 2017 Gym Membership Trends. Athletic Business. July 2017.
- Dayantis, Harry. 'Fat Shaming' Doesn't Encourage Weight Loss. EurekAlert! Sept. 10, 2014.
- Delaney, Brigid. The Yoga Industry Is Booming - but Does It Make You a Better Person? The Guardian. Sept. 17, 2017.
- Dionne, Evette. The Fragility of Body Positivity: How a Radical Movement Lost Its Way. Bitch. Nov. 21, 2017.
- Epstein, Rebecca and Thalia Gonzales. Gender & Trauma: Somatic Interventions for Girls in Juvenile Justice: Implications for Policy and Practice. Georgetown Law Center on Poverty and Inequality. April 25, 2017.
- Feldman, Jamie. Honestly, the Term ‘Body Positive’ Lost Its Meaning a Long Time Ago. HuffPo. Nov. 30, 2017.
- Fresh Air. Those Yoga Poses May Not Be Ancient After All, and Maybe That's OK. NPR. June 1, 2015.
- Godard, Thierry. The Economics of Yoga. Smart Asset. Feb. 3, 2017.
- Goldberg, Michelle. The Woman Who Hooked Hollywood on Yoga. Time. June 10, 2015.
- Hutchenson, Susannah. How I Became a Yogi: Jessamyn Stanley. USA Today. Nov. 1, 2017.
- Kolata, Gina. The Shame of Fat Shaming. The New York Times. Oct. 2, 2016.
- Larocca, Amy. The Wellness Epidemic. The Cut. June 27, 2017.
- MacMillan, Amanda. Fat-shaming could raise health risks, study suggests. CNN. Feb. 7, 2017.
- Macy, Dayna. 2016 Yoga in America Study Conducted by Yoga Journal and Yoga Alliance Reveals Growth and Benefits of the Practice. Yoga Journal. Jan. 13, 2016.
- McNearney, Allison. The Wild Life of Indra Devi, the Woman Responsible for Your Yoga Obsession. Women in the World. June 15, 2015.
- Murphy, Rosalie. Why Your Yoga Class Is So White. The Atlantic. July 8, 2014.
- Raphael, Rina. How This “Fat Femme” Yoga Instructor Is Reshaping The $3 Trillion Wellness Industry. Fast Company. June 14, 2017.
- Rea, Shiva. Movement Meditation: Centering Breath. Yoga Journal. Aug. 28, 2007.
- Reich, Denise. Exercise Is for Everyone: Five Ways to Make Sports and Fitness More Accessible to All. Shameless. Oct. 5, 2015.
- Romanoff, Zan. The Consumerist Church of Fitness Classes. The Atlantic. Dec. 4, 2017.
- Shell, Elizabeth. How an Instagram Yoga Star Ignores Trolls, Shines Light on Body Acceptance. USA Today. June 21, 2017.
- Starling, Lakin. How This Trap Yoga Studio Became a Sanctuary for Black People. Fader. Feb. 1, 2017.
- Wei, Marlynn. New Survey Reveals the Rapid Rise of Yoga - and Why Some People Still Haven't Tried It. Harvard Health Publishing. March 7, 2016.
- Whaley, Crystal. Find a Black-Owned Yoga Studio Near You. Ebony. March 27, 2014.
- Whaley, Crystal. Why Black People Need Yoga. Ebony. March 19, 2014.
- Williams, Laura. Buying Women's Fitness & Workout Clothing - Splurge or Bargain? Money Crashers.