Episode 1: How to Pay for an Abortion
In the premiere episode of Unladylike, Cristen and Caroline tackle one of life’s most unladylike practicalities: abortion. But even though one in three U.S. women will have an abortion, how much they cost is any uterus' guess. We’ll hear from three women with radically different experiences paying for their abortions, and unpack the dollars and nonsense that determine our access to safe, legal abortions.
- Incredible list of info over at The Abortion Diary
- Staying healthy after your abortion
- How to plan your abortion in a surveillance state
- Financial resources
- Education + insight
- Abrams, Abigail. Getting an Abortion With Telemedicine Is Safe, Study Says. Time. May 16, 2017.
- Bess, Gabby. What Women Do When They Can't Afford an Abortion. Broadly. Oct. 19, 2016.
- Caplan-Bricker, Nora. Why Are Abortions Performed in Clinics? Slate. Nov. 16, 2015.
- Conover, Chris. Are American Taxpayers Paying For Abortion? Forbes. Oct. 2, 2015.
- Cowles, Charlotte. What If I Can’t Afford an Abortion? The Cut. Feb. 2, 2017.
- Duncan, Pamela et al. Abortion laws around the world: from bans to easy access. The Guardian. Jan. 5, 2016.
- Dutton, Audrey. Low-income women in Idaho who can’t afford abortions turn to this nonprofit. Idaho Statesman. Nov. 16, 2017.
- Farless, Hayley. Before 'Roe,' This University Had an Abortion Fund for Students. Rewire. Feb. 13, 2017.
- Fisher, Theresa. How much does an abortion cost? Well, from $0 to $3,275. Clear Health Costs. June 19, 2014.
- Gerson Uffalussy, Jennifer. How Much Does an Abortion Cost? Learn About Prices for Surgical Abortion and the Abortion Pill. Glamour. June 7, 2017.
- Guttmacher Institute. Restricting Insurance Coverage of Abortion.
- Guttmacher Institute. Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers.
Jerman, Jenna et al. Characteristics of U.S. Abortion Patients in 2014 and Changes Since 2008. Guttmacher Institute. 2016.
- Jones, Rachel K. et al. At What Cost? Payment for Abortion Care by U.S. Women. Women's Health Issues. Vol. 23, Iss. 3. May-June 2013.
- Kalamaras, Danielle. Insurance Paid For My Abortion, And My Story Is Way Too Rare. Bustle. July 10, 2015.
- Lawson, Kimberly. The Activists Fighting to Legalize DIY Abortions. Broadly. Dec. 9, 2016.
- Livsey, Anna. How much do abortions cost across Australia? The Guardian. Aug. 21, 2017.
- Miller, Korin. This Is Why People Get Second-Trimester Abortions. Self. Feb. 3, 2017.
- National Women's Law Center. The Hyde Amendment Creates an Unacceptable Barrier To Women Getting Abortions. April 21, 2017.
- Newman, Amie. The "Option" of a DIY Abortion. Our Bodies, Ourselves. Jan. 12, 2017.
- Planned Parenthood. How do I get the abortion pill?
- Planned Parenthood. Hyde Amendment.
- Planned Parenthood. In-Clinic Abortion.
- Platoff, Emma. Health clinic provides free abortions to 85 women affected by Hurricane Harvey. The Texas Tribune. Nov. 13, 2017.
- Redden, Molly. ‘Please, I am out of options’: inside the murky world of DIY abortions. The Guardian. Nov. 21, 2016.
- Roe v. Wade. U.S. Supreme Court. 1973.
- Rushton, Gina. These Women Funded Their Abortions With Facebook Donations. Buzzed. Nov. 30, 2016.
- Stephens-Davidowitz, Seth. The Return of the D.I.Y. Abortion. The New York Times. March 5, 2016.
- Thomson-DeVeaux, Amelia. When Abortion Was Only Legal in 6 States. FiveThirtyEight. Aug. 28, 2014.
- Van Oot, Torey. I'm An Abortion Travel Agent. Refinery29. Jan. 30, 2017.
- Wang, Lin-Fan. EACH Woman Deserves Care. U.S.News & World Report. July 9, 2015.
- Winter, Meaghan. New Research Shows How Abortion Restrictions Hurt Poor Women Most. The Cut. Feb. 21, 2017.