Episode 11: How to Be a Sex Queen
Kaz Lucas wants to start a sexual revolution with her microphone. But is her native Kenya ready to listen? The host and creator of Kenya's ultra sex-positive podcast, The Spread, tells Cristen and Caroline what it means to really own your sexuality in a place where doing so is not just risqué... but also risky.
More from Kaz and The Spread
- Guttmacher Institute
- World Health Organization: Women's health
- Go Ask Alice!
- Mayo Clinic: Talking about your sexual needs
- Arunga, Abigail. Take 5 with Karen Lucas. Daily Nation. Sept. 22, 2016.
- EACLJ. Abortion in Kenya.
- Evaristo, Bernardine. The idea that African homosexuality was a colonial import is a myth. The Guardian. March 8, 2014.
- Flint, Adrian and Vernon Hewitt. Colonial tropes and HIV/AIDS in Africa: sex, disease and race. Commonwealth & Comparative Policies, Vol. 53, Iss. 3. 2015.
- Guttmacher Institute. Sexuality education in Kenya: New evidence from three counties. April 2017.
- Kalende, Val. Africa: Homophobia is a legacy of colonialism. The Guardian. April 30, 2014.
- Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Kenya Demographic and Health Survey. 2014.
- Kimani, Sheila. I have been living a lie, former Project Fame contestant Kaz reveals. SDE.
- MaCleod, Roderick. Meet Kenya's podcasting 'sex queens.' BBC. March 10, 2017.
- Muendo, Stevens. Kaz: The naked truth. Standard Digital. April 8, 2011.
- Mwangi, Wambui. Silence is a woman. The New Inquiry. June 4, 2013.
- Nderitu, Alexander. Women vs. the world wide web: Spy writer admits that Internet culture is hostile to women. May 16, 2016.
- Odhiambo, Rhoda. Debate in Kenya: What to tell kids about sex. DW. Jan. 15, 2018.
- Okeyo, Verah. 'Dangerous proposal': Campaigners in Kenya condemn sex education plan. The Guardian. Feb. 8, 2018.
- Akintunde, Dorcas Olubanke and J.K. Ayantayo. Sexuality and spirituality: Possible bedmates in the religious terrain in contemporary Nigeria. Africa Regional Sexuality Resource Centre: Understanding Human Sexuality Seminar Series 4. June 9, 2005.
- Ombuor, Rael. Kenya sex podcast encourages sexuality dialogue. March 22, 2017.
- Santelli, John S. et al. Abstinence-only-until-marriage: An updated review of U.S. policies and programs and their impact. Journal of Adolescent Health. Vol. 61, Iss. 3. September 2017.
- Sidze, Estelle M. et al. From paper to practice: Sexuality education policies and their implementation in Kenya. Guttmacher Institute. April 2017.
- Stillman, Melissa and Estelle Monique Sidze. Sex education programmes in Kenyan schools are failing students. The Conversation. May 7, 2017.
- Suarez, Gustavo. New study shows sexuality education programs in Kenyan schools are failing students, falling short of international standards. Guttmacher Institute. April 19, 2017.
- The World Bank. MTV Shuga soap opera turns edutainment into a tool to fight HIV and gender-based violence. Feb. 23, 2017.